The original Court House was located in about the same place as the present Court House, it was a two story frame building with four rooms on the first floor, occupied by the Clerk, Recorder, Auditor and Treasurer, the second floor was all one room used for Court and General Public assemblies.(1)
The old courthouse originally had a porch in front of it, eight feet wide, with a row of columns, extending along the entire front, and to the height of the second floor, and in that day 1841, presented quite an impressive appearance. Later, as the demand for space increased, the columns were taken down and the space included in the porch enclosed.(2)
This courthouse was sold at Public Auction in 1867 to T.M. Miles, one of the contractors for the new building and was removed to make room for the present building. The old building was re-located on the south side of East Maumee Street about where the north entrance of the present Masonic Temple and the alley are now located. The old building was used for many different purposes over the years some of which there is no record or remembrance, however some of the old timers still living will remember that John Nyce, the father of Kathleen Williamson, had a carriage shop and Paint Shop for years in this building and that Theodore Gilbert ran a Feed Store there for some time, but the last occupant was Edwin Spade and Walter Ives who started the First Ice Cream Factory in Angola in this building, Spade finally moved out to a new location in the west part of Angola, but Ives remained and operated the Ice Cream Factory until the building was demolished.
The Old Antique remained in that location until the building was demolished, to make room for the First National Bank and the Masonic Temple, thus one of our old landmark's disappeared.(1)
(1)Steuben Republican April 17, 1968(2) Steuben Republican February 21, 1921