|Property of Carnegie Public Library|
N E corner of
Public Square. The Empire store was moved from West Maumee St. It was built around 1856 on the present site of the Odd Fellows Bldg. As an annex to the Old Eagle Hotel, the 2nd story being uses as a ballroom. A.W. Hendry and Henry Merriman bought it and move it to the east side of the square where it was fitted and used by them for a store room and known as the Empire Store. A. W. A. Sirsle kept a furniture there at one time. Mr S G Long kept the first 10 ¢store in in there, about 1892 John Snyder used it for carriages and implements at one time. This Bldg was moved to Angola N Wayne St to make room for the present brick block an is now (1924) used by Greenwood Bodley as a plumbing shop.