Demary or Demery Tillotson, the oldest settler of Fremont Township, was born in Pittsford, Monroe Co., N.Y., April 26, 1810, a son of Nathan and Mary (Kellogg) Tillotson, early settlers of Monroe County.
In August, 1835, he came to Steuben County and settled on section 28, Fremont Township.
Mr. Tillotson was the second settler of the township; the first, John McMahon, preceded him about an hour, and was preparing to feed his team when Mr. Tillotson drove by.
During the first few weeks after Demary Tillotson settled in Fremont Township, his only shelter was a few boards set against a tree. His uncle, Jeremiah Tillotson, built the first log house and he built the second. Bears would come sniffing around the houses, being not in the least afraid. Wolves were prowling around nights and would frequently venture close to the cabins.
He opened up a farm where the Noyes place is now located, near the depot at Fremont, then known as Willow Prairie. He lived on this place four years and in 1839 settled where he now lives.
He was married April 12, 1835, to Harriet Shepard, a native of New York, and to them were born six children-Jerome, William, Truman T., Merritt, and two who died in infancy. Mrs. Tillotson died March 18, 1850.
In January, 1853, Mr. Tillotson married Mrs. Sarah (Thomas) Pheneice, a native of Franklin County, Pa., born Oct. 5, 1824, widow of James Phenecie. To them born two daughters-Sarah, wife of Homer Withtington, and Ida. Mrs. Tillotson died July 21, 1883.
History of Steuben County 1885
Demary Tillotson died in Fremont March 4, 1896.