Local History and Genealogy

Tuesday, February 25, 2014


Orlenzo S. Light

The subject of this sketch was born in Allegany county, New York, April 9, 1842, and died at his home in Scott township, Steuben county, Indiana, Jan. 30, 1918, aged 75 years, 9 months, and 21 days.

When a small boy he came to Steuben county, where he grew to manhood, and in answer to his county's call, enlisted in the Union Army and was mustered into service on August 2, 1862, in the 74th Indiana Regiment, Co. H, and served until the close of the war, taking part in the battles at Chickamauga, The Wilderness, Missionary Ridge and in Sherman's march to the sea.

Mr Light was known by his comrades as a good soldier and won and held their respect to a large degree.  He was mustered out June, 9, 1865, he was joined in marriage with Selena Button, and to this union were born six children, three of whom had preceded their father in death.  Mr Light was always interested in the welfare of his fellowmen and ready to lend a helping hand where needed, and his honesty was never questioned by anyone.  Jovial in disposition, he was always looking on the bright side of life, and never complained.  He was a hard worker and an excellent provider for his family.

In the fall of 1916 he made the good confession and obeyed his Master in baptism, and later united with the North Scott Christian church and found great comfort in the promises of the Gospel.  

He leaves to mourn their loss his wife and three children, Mrs. Mary Myers and Mrs. Addie Sowles, of Scott township; and William Light, of Pike Lake, Mich., and many other relatives and friends.

Services were held on February 2, conducted by his pastor, Elder D. C. Ford.

Steuben Republican February 13, 1918

Mr. Light is buried at South Scott Cemetery per Steuben County Cemetery book.

Taken from the book "War Record of Steuben County, Indiana" by Jesse H. Carpenter
 Our company casualties were fortunately light. Robert Warren was wounded and once Orlenzo Light dropped as though killed, but on examination we found a bullet had passed through eight folds of his blanket and stopped at the ninth and last. It was a narrow escape with life, but many close chances occur in war."

Monday, February 24, 2014


Fire about four o'clock yesterday afternoon came near destroying the old Eagle House, one of the oldest landmarks in Angola.  The fire originated in a room occupied by Councilman Frank Bassett as a storage room for hay and straw in connection with his feed store in the same building.  The blaze was first discovered by Mrs. Bassett in its incipiency, and in a few minutes smoke enough belched forth to make people think the whole block was on fire.  The firemen were soon on hand and quenched the flames in fine shape.  The building is owned and occupied by Miss Louisa Orten, who is in very poor health..  She was carried from her cot to the Hotel Hendry across the street and placed in a chair in the office room where she sat and watched the fire laddies save the old landmark, with more coolness than a girl girl of sweet sixteen.  Had the fire occurred at night, the entire building along with Watson's restaurant and the J.A.J. Sowle saloon building would probably have gone up in smoke, as they are all old wooden structures and as dry as punk.  The corner room of the old hotel building is occupied by John Walker, the cobbler and Timothy Gay, the tailor, both of whom kept cool and saved their "last goose."  Mr Bassett estimates his loss at $50.00.  It is claimed that a little 5 year old boy was playing with matches and started the fire, as he was seen to run away from the building a few moments prior to the discovery of the blaze. 

Steuben Republican October 23, 1901

Saturday, February 22, 2014


Destructive Fire

On last Monday night occurred on of the moat destructive fires that ever befallen this place.  The property destroyed will, we are assured, not fall short of eight or nine thousand dollars.  The Eureka building and the greater portion of all the property contained in it was entirely consumed.  (Located where former First National Bank Building and Masonic Building is on the southeast corner of the square)  The fire originated in that part of the building occupied by Wm. Roades as a grocery and saloon, and when discovered the inside of the room was a bed of coals, the flames darting out of the windows and siding above the door.  Any attempt to stay the progress of the devouring element being useless, the citizens went to work with a will to clear the building of its contents.  A large amount of furniture was saved, but a still larger amount was destroyed.  Fortunately there was little or no air stirring, or the loss would necessarily have been much greater.Even with the air so still it was only through the united efforts of the citizens that the Dry Goods store of Hendry and Merriman, the Angola House, and Woodhull and Croxton's Law Office was saved.  The last named building sustained considerable damage.  The Drug Store of L. E. Carver, and Harness Shop of Israel Kemery were stripped of their contents, and the archives of the county removed from the County Offices, but through the superhuman efforts of the citizens the further progress of the fire was arrested at Woodhull and Croxton's office and the danger in that direction averted.

The loss sustained by the destruction of the Eureka is estimated about as follows : L.A. Russel & Co, proprietors of the building, loss $6,000, insured for $2,000 ; Myron Hord, Billiard Saloon in same building, loss $1,200, insured for $500 ; Jacob Stealy, Marble Shop in same building, loss $200, no insurance ; William Rhoades, Grocery Store, in same building, loss $1,200, insured for $600.

It is not known how the fire originated, but it is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary, as there is evidence to confirm this belief. 

Steuben Republican July 12, 1866