Frank Cary Reached That Distinction Yesterday
Has Seen A Great Many Changes - Made Three trips To California Since That Time
Frank Cary, then being a well developed youth, still retains vivid impressions of early scenes about this locality. The public square, instead of being paved and ornamented with lights, a lawn and a monument, contained two pond holes, a stump, and a clump of hazel brushes. The old court house stood at the southeast corner of the square. Jesse Mugg was a tavern keeper and Elisha Sears kept a store where Williamson's hardware store is now located. This building was built with hewn timbers, even the studding, and the upper part was used for a hall and lodge room and was home in time of both the Odd Fellow and Masonic lodges. Mr Cary was one of the charter members of the Masonic lodge and kept his membership unbroken to this day, and his son and grandson are both members of the same body. Mr Cary has been zealous in his attendance on the order, and his work in the ceremonies has made a decided hit with all the later members.
Mr Cary has visited California three times since living here, the first time in 1862, by wagon train, when he was in charge of 12 horses, and was five months on journey. He returned by water, crossing the Isthmus of Panama and resuming his journey to New York. A brother accompanied him, returned by way of the horn. He also went once by water, starting from New York.
Mr Cary remembers well the men of the early days, including Judge Gale, Cornelius Gilmore, A. W. Hendry and others who had much to do with shaping Angola's early history. He recalls with ease the time when this vicinity was an ideal hunting place, abounding in squirrel, wild turkeys, duck, and other small game and has seen the erection of nearly all the homes, the city now being more than 10 times as large as when he came here.
Herald Republican July 4, 1917