Local History and Genealogy

Monday, March 21, 2011



The sectional basketball meet to determine the representing team of the district composed of Steuben, LaGrange and Noble Counties in the contest for the Indiana championship  of the independent amateur basketball teams will be held in Angola next week on Friday and Saturday.  As there are several closely matched teams in the district a strong contest is anticipated.  The winner in the state meet will represent the state in the Central West Meet.Teams will be here next week from Wolf Lake, Hamilton, Stroh, Rome City, Angola, Howe, Pleasant Lake, Hudson and Fremont.  This is a big event in basketball circles and is made possible here because of the new gymnasium.  Angola must entertain the visitors properly during the meet.    

Steuben Republican February 1, 1922 


Thursday, March 17, 2011



New Structure to Front on East Maumee Street With Ample Windows Along Side

     Plans for the proposed new post office building in Angola were received this week by Postmaster Faulkerson, and are on file at the post office.  The material of the structure will be brick, trimmed with sandstone.  The building which is 48 x 92 feet in size will front on East Maumee street, setting back from the present sidewalk a few feet.  Steps will run direct from the sidewalk on each side of the center entrance turning to a porch in front of the entrance door which will have a half circle transom.  There will be a window in the front on each side of the entrance.
     The building will run lengthwise on Martha street, a few feet east of the present sidewalk, the center line of the whole building being located west of the center line of the lot.  The sides will have frequent windows to give plenty of daylight to the interior.  At the rear of the building will be a drive and  loading platform making the entire ground plan run to a space of 119 feet.
     The side walls will be built square to the top, with the roof concealed and with stone trimmed panels on the sides and front.
      A basement will be excavated about tow-thirds of the distance under the building, which space will be used for the heating plant and fuel room.  There will also be a swing room for carriers and storage vaults for stamps mad supplies in the basement.
     The main floor of the building will be fourteen feet high. The floor in the lobby will be of tile, while the ceiling and walls above a three foot six paneled wainscotting will be of plain plaster.  The postmaster's office will be located in the northwest corner of the first floor, and immediately back of it to the south will be a vaults for valuables and a door leading into a cage for the financial division.  The main lobby will be in the front of the building, extending from the postmaster's room across the front.  The drops and windows will be along the partition.  On the east side of the building a bay will lead from the lobby for access to the lock boxes. Back of the partition will be a commodious work room for the carrier's cases and the dispatch clerk.
     The plan calls for all modern conveniences in the way of lighting and telephone connections.  The plan, while compact, is apparently commodious enough for business which has been transacted through the office during the past several years, and with possibilities for increases for years to come.

Steuben Republican December 12, 1934

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Village of Pleasant Lake 1919

     Pleasant Lake, an unincorporated place in Steuben Township, is situated in section 15, township 36, range 13.  It is about four miles south of Angola and is a station on the Lake Shore railroad,  It is beautifully situated on both Long Lake and Pleasant Lake, with numerous other lakelets nearby.  Here one finds several summer resorts.  There are many cottages, seen here and there, all along the shores is of these fine lakes.  Here one sees a handsome high school building - township school - erected in 1914 at an expense of about $30,000.  The village obtains its electric lights from Angola from the Utility Company. 
     This village was laid out in February, 1846, by Payne C. Parker, covering a part of what is now Pleasant Lake.  The records do not show that Parker or Luther Cleland to whom Parker sold, ever conveyed any lots and the plat seems to have been ignored and the lots sold by metes and bounds.
     At the present (1919) the business interests of Pleasant Lake include the following:  General Merchandise - Chadwick & Ransburg (department store); R. Imhoff; grocery - Lithwin Gates; hardware - John O. Matson; also carries farm implements; harness - Victor Orwing; drugs - George J. Weaver; auto-garages - H.C. Wald and Bert Enfield Son; meat - C.L. Moreland; bakery - Glen Wheeler; photographer - Fred Fay; restaurant - Sol Tuttle; pool hall - Fern Fuller; barbers - William Uncapher and Daniel Pixley; blacksmiths - Almond Shaffer, Austin and  Knight; Ice - Willis Adams; Also Moran Bros., of Fort Wayne put up large quantities for shipment.  The other business houses are  - lumber dealers:  Goodwin Lumber Company handles soft wood lumber and coal; grain elevators - T. I. Ferris; cement blocks and bricks - Albert Mitchell; news stand - Lida McDougal; livestock - James Harpham; cream station - The Martin Creamery Company and Lake View Hotel.  There is also a novelty manufacturing company located here and is owned and operated by George Baird, who is inventor of many useful articles which he makes here, including his farm gate, his metal lifting jack, for instantly raising an automobile etc.  His wooden pulleys find a ready sale over a large area of territory.  He is now seeking a larger place in which to operate.

History of northeast Indiana : LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties 
by Robert M Waddell